Are Hoya Plants Poisonous? (& Allergy Info)

  • Time to read: 3 min.

Hoya plants are a popular household plant. They are easy to care for and come in a variety of colors. If you’ve got kids or pets, though, you might be wondering if they’re poisonous.

They are generally safe plants, but there are some things about them you may need to know.

Are Hoya Plants Poisonous to Humans?

Hoya plants are generally regarded as non-toxic when consumed by humans. While there are a few species of hoya that contain small amounts of toxins, these toxins are not harmful to humans in the small quantities found in the plants. In fact, hoya plants have been used in traditional medicine to treat a variety of ailments.

Hoya plants may cause allergic reactions in some people. They produce a sap that can cause skin rashes and other allergic reactions to people who are allergic to latex. If you have latex allergies, avoid touching damaged parts of hoya plants.

Additionally, the flowers that hoya plants produce can trigger certain seasonal allergies. If you are allergic to pollen, you may experience symptoms such as sneezing, a runny nose, and itchy eyes when near hoya plants.

If you are allergic to hoya pollen, you should cut the flowering parts of the plant off as soon as they appear. Though the flowers do look nice, removing them won’t actually harm the plant at all.

Are Hoya Plants Poisonous to Cats?

Hoya plants are not poisonous to cats. That having been said, if you have a cat that likes eating plants, it may be wise to move your hoya somewhere it can’t get to, as consumption of large amounts may lead to blockages.

Additionally, keep in mind that any fertilizers or insecticides you use (or that were added before you purchased the plant) may be toxic as well.

Are Hoya Plants Poisonous to Dogs?

According to the ASPCA, hoya is not toxic to dogs, but consumption of its leaves may cause an upset stomach depending on your dogs sensitivities. If your dog has a tendence to try to eat your houseplants, you don’t have to worry about hoya killing your dog, but it may still be best to keep it out of reach.

Conclusion

Hoya is generally regarded as one of the safer plants you can grow, as it isn’t toxic when consumed by kids, cats, rabbits, or dogs.  Certain varieties of hoya are toxic to certain livestock animals, however, such as sheep.  Quite a few sheep die every year from hoya poisoning after eating hoya.

If you don’t have your hoya in reach of livestock animals, however, you should be fine.

On the other hand, hoya can be harmful to people with latex allergies if you get any of the sap on your skin.  If you have latex allergies, avoid touching any damaged leaves or stems, and avoid touching anything that was used to cut part of a hoya plant.

Hoya can also aggitate seasonal pollen allergies, so if you are allergic to pollen, you may need to remove the flowers before they can bloom.  Doing so shouldn’t harm your hoya plant.

Previous Post

11 Best Orchids to Add to Your Terrarium

Next Post

Are Monstera Plants Poisonous to Pets? (Leaves, Stems, & Fruit)