A dish garden is a type of indoor garden that is growing in popularity. Dish gardens are usually small and can be created using a wide variety of container sizes and materials. They are easy to care for and make a great addition to any home or office. Keep on reading to know how to make dish gardening and how to maintain them looking beautiful.
Creating Your Own Dish Gardening
Making your own dish garden is a fun and easy project that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. All you need is a little imagination and some basic supplies. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- A clear glass or plastic container with a lid. A fishbowl, aquarium, cookie jar, or even a recycled margarine tub will work perfectly. Just make sure it has good drainage holes in the bottom.
- Potting soil is specifically designed for plants grown in water.
- A variety of plants will thrive in a water garden environment. Be sure to research the types of plants you choose, as some may require more or less sunlight than others.
- Decorative items such as shells, stones, or figurines add interest and beauty to your dish garden.
How To Make Dish Gardening?
Once you have gathered all of your supplies, it’s time to get planting! Here are the basic steps:
1. Fill your container with potting soil up to about 2 inches from the top.
2. Gently remove the plants from their nursery containers and loosen the roots a bit before placing them in the soil.
3. Place taller plants in the back of the container, and shorter plants in the front.
4. Once all of your plants are in place, add water until it reaches just below the soil line.
5. Place your dish garden in a location that receives the appropriate amount of sunlight for the types of plants you have chosen.
6. Check the water level every few days and add more if necessary.
7. Enjoy your beautiful dish garden!
Types Of Dish Gardening
There are many different types of dish gardens, limited only by your imagination. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Bonsai Dish Garden
This miniature form of bonsai tree gardening is a popular choice for dish gardens. Bonsai trees are easy to care for and can be kept in small containers, making them the perfect choice for those with limited space. Be sure to choose a variety of plants that have different leaf shapes and sizes to create an interesting and varied display.
Cactus Dish Garden
Cacti are a popular choice for dish gardens, as they are easy to care for and require very little water. Be sure to choose cacti that are small enough to fit in your container, and be careful when handling them as their spines can be sharp. A cactus dish garden is easy and simple to make.
Fern Dish Garden
Ferns thrive in humid environments, making them the perfect choice for a dish garden. Be sure to choose a variety of ferns that have different shapes and sizes to create an interesting display. Ferns also do well in low-light conditions, making them a good choice for those with limited sunlight.
Herb Dish Garden
A herb dish garden is a great way to get started in indoor gardening. Not only will you have beautiful plants to enjoy, but you’ll also have fresh herbs on hand when cooking. Just be sure to select herbs that do well in water-filled containers, such as mint, basil, or thyme.
Jungle Dish Garden
If you’re looking for a dish garden that is truly unique, consider creating a jungle-themed arrangement. This type of garden can be made using all kinds of different plants, from ferns and palms to ivy and philodendrons. Just be careful not to overcrowd the container and give each plant enough room to grow.
Succulent Dish Garden
Succulents are a great choice for dish gardens because they require very little water and can thrive in a variety of environments. The succulent dish garden is perfect for those who want a low-maintenance display that still looks beautiful. Just be sure to choose a variety of succulent plants with different colors and textures to create interest.
Tabletop Water Garden
A tabletop water garden is a great way to bring the beauty of nature indoors. These gardens can be as simple or as elaborate as you like and can be made using a variety of different plants. Just make sure to choose plants that do well in wet environments and place your garden in a spot with plenty of natural light.
Springy Tabletop Garden
If you’re looking for a garden that will add a touch of springtime cheer to your home, try this tabletop project. It’s easy to put together and can be made using a variety of plants, both flowers, and herbs. Just be sure to use a sturdy container that can handle the weight of wet soil and water.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to creating your own dish garden. With just a little bit of imagination, you can create an arrangement that perfectly suits your style and taste. So get creative and have fun with it!
Container Gardening Tips
When creating your own dish garden, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Choose plants that will thrive in the type of container you have selected.
- Make sure your container has good drainage holes in the bottom.
- Add decorative items such as shells, stones, or figurines to add interest and beauty to your dish garden.
- Keep the water level in your container high enough to reach the soil line, but not so high that it will overflow.
- Check the water level every few days and add more if necessary.
- Place your dish garden in a location that receives the appropriate amount of sunlight for the types of plants you have chosen.
- Enjoy your beautiful indoor garden!
Maintaining Dish Garden
Dish gardens are relatively low-maintenance, but there are a few things you need to do to keep them healthy and looking their best.
Water your dish garden regularly, making sure to keep the soil moist but not soggy. Fertilize your plants every month or so using a water-soluble fertilizer. Pruning your plants as needed to encourage new growth and maintain the desired shape.
Remove any dead or dying leaves or stems from your plants as soon as you notice them. With just a little bit of care, your dish garden will thrive and provide you with years of enjoyment.
Creating your own dish garden is a fun and rewarding experience. With just a little bit of effort, you can have a beautiful and unique display that will add interest and beauty to your home. So get creative and have fun with it! Thanks for reading.